Elton E. Mountz
Today's Morgan Corporation traces its history back to 1952, when company founder Elton E. Mountz purchased a small welding shop in Morgantown, Pennsylvania, on the site where Conestoga wagons were manufactured through the late 1800s.
Mountz Welding, as his company was called, specialized in residential and farm implement repairs. In 1958, after a record heavy snowfall collapsed the roof of his two-bay shop, Elton doubled the size of the existing facility, coinciding with the opening of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, expanded the business to include the repair and refurbishing of trailers and truck equipment.
In 1960, the company name changed to the Morgan Trailer Mfg. Co., and the original repair business was expanded to include the assembly, mounting and finishing of prefabricated van body "kits."
By 1970, a major expansion was completed with the addition of a new painting facility and 40,000- sq. ft. of new manufacturing space. Also at this time, a lighter, stronger, non-kit truck body was introduced under the Morgan name.
Historical Photo of First Facility Purchased
Morgan's innovative truck body design found wide acceptance and additional manufacturing capacity was soon necessary. In 1975, Morgan acquired its Janesville, Wisconsin facility. In 1993, a 78,000-sq. ft. plant in Ephrata, Pennsylvania, was purchased.
Substantial additions were completed at the Morgantown facilities in 1980. In the same year, Morgan began to appoint Regional Distributors to complement the company's sales force and better serve its nationwide customer base. In 1981, the company name was changed to Morgan Corporation.
Morgan continued to grow through both conventional product line development and product diversification. A new manufacturing complex was opened in Rydal, Georgia, in 1983. In 1986, new manufacturing plants in Ehrenberg, Arizona, and Corsicana, Texas, and a factory sales and service branch in Fontana, California, were opened.
Morgan Corporation continued to lead the way in van body design and construction, and in 1987 the now famous Morgan Gold Star van body series was introduced.
Corporate Logo Throughout Companies History
In January 1990, Elton Mountz, founder and chairman of Morgan, retired. At the same time, ownership of the company was transferred to J.B. Poindexter & Co., an investment group headquartered in Houston, Texas. The company continued its expansion by opening a sales and service branch in Tampa, Florida to be followed by manufacturing locations in Riverside, CA and Lakeland, FL, and then additional service centers in Denver, CO and Atlanta, GA.
In recent years, Morgan Corporation has extended their innovation and quality products into new markets, including Canada, through an affiliation with well-known, Canadian-based Commercial Babcock. A recent name change from Commercial-Babcock to Morgan-Canada has served to clarify the already well-established relationship, and help customers across Canada more easily identify and access Morgan products.
Today, as the largest manufacturer of Class 3 to 7 dry freight van bodies and refrigerated truck bodies in the U.S., Morgan is also a recognized leader in customized building of curtainsiders, furniture / moving van bodies, cut-a-way van bodies and stake / platform truck bodies. And with facilities strategically across the U.S. and Canada -- Morgan is able to provide the quality, service and prompt delivery you should expect -- on-time, every time.
Remember it's not just a Morgan Truck Body riding behind you... it's a whole company.